Woodvale Park

Woodvale Park

Woodvale Park

woodvale parkJPG - Woodvale ParkOn the present site where Woodvale Park now sits once stood a private dwelling called Woodville House, surrounded by 24 acres of land.

In 1887 the house owner the Rev. Octavius Glover sold the site to the Belfast Corporation for the yearly fee of £217 and 13 shillings.

It is believed the sandstones pillars, gates and railings cost £400 to erect.

The idea behind opening Woodvale and other parks in and around Belfast was to give the working class the opportunity to enjoy fresh air and open spaces away from the unhealthy environment of the surrounding textile mills and smog filled streets